Manila City Tour (Intramuros)
Long before the Spaniards came to the Philippines, villages abounded along the banks of Pasig River. One of these was Maynila, a settlement fortified by palisades of log and earth. Ruled by Rajah Soliman, a native chieftain, the citadel was a trade center for Asian goods.
It was in this manner that the city earned the name Intramuros, meaning “within the walls.” Honored by King Philip II with the title Insigne y Siempre Leal Ciudad (Distinguished and Ever Loyal City), Manila served as the political, cultural, educational, religious and commercial center of Spain’s empire in the East. The riches of Asia were gathered in the Ciudad Murada or Walled City (as Intramuros was later known), and loaded on galleons for transport to Acapulco, Mexico.
On April 10, 1979, Presidential Decree 1616 created the Intramuros Administration (IA) to undertake the restoration and development of Intramuros as a monument to the Spanish period in Philippine history.
The IA was attached to the Department of Tourism (DOT) by Executive Order 120 in 1987 and was given the additional task of promoting the Walled City as a principal tourism destination.
Today, efforts to preserve the Walled City and revive its illustrious past are stronger than ever. The present generation of Filipinos has come to realize its value as a national heritage. As in the days of our forefathers, Intramuros is a priceless treasure to be shared with the world.
photo credit: Intramuros Administration